Roasted Chicken a la Simon & Garfunkel
This roast chicken recipe uses parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme for a fragrant, flavorful dish. Using a cast iron skillet to roast the chicken helps form a nice golden crust.
- 1 Caraluzzi's Pure Poultry Whole Chicken
- Salt and black pepper Try Caraluzzi's Sea Salt and Five Pepper Blend
- Sprigs of rosemary, sage, thyme, and parsley stems
- 1 lemon sliced
Herb Compound Butter
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened
- 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped sage
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- ¼ cup chopped parsley save parsley stems to stuff the cavity
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Heat oven to 425 degrees
Season chicken inside and out with salt and pepper.
Stuff cavity with sliced lemon and sprigs of herbs.
To make herb compound butter, in a medium bowl mix softened butter with lemon zest and lemon juice, and the chopped herbs.
Rub herb compound butter under skin of chicken, place some inside the cavity, and rub the remainder of compound butter on top of chicken.
Truss chicken with kitchen twine and place inside cast iron skillet. Roast for 45 minutes or until done
Remove twine, transfer chicken to a plate and serve.
Recipe NotesBringing the chicken up to room temperature for about an hour before cooking will help to ensure even cooking inside and a crispy outside.
Photo and recipe courtesy of Springer Mountain Farms.