Roasted Chicken a la Simon & Garfunkel
This roast chicken recipe uses parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme for a fragrant, flavorful dish. Using a cast iron skillet to roast the chicken helps form a nice golden crust.
- 1 Caraluzzi's Pure Poultry Whole Chicken
- Salt and black pepper Try Caraluzzi's Sea Salt and Five Pepper Blend
- Sprigs of rosemary, sage, thyme, and parsley stems
- 1 lemon sliced
Herb Compound Butter
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened
- 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped sage
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- ¼ cup chopped parsley save parsley stems to stuff the cavity
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Heat oven to 425 degrees
- Season chicken inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Stuff cavity with sliced lemon and sprigs of herbs.
- To make herb compound butter, in a medium bowl mix softened butter with lemon zest and lemon juice, and the chopped herbs.
- Rub herb compound butter under skin of chicken, place some inside the cavity, and rub the remainder of compound butter on top of chicken.
- Truss chicken with kitchen twine and place inside cast iron skillet. Roast for 45 minutes or until done
- Remove twine, transfer chicken to a plate and serve.
Bringing the chicken up to room temperature for about an hour before cooking will help to ensure even cooking inside and a crispy outside. Photo and recipe courtesy of Springer Mountain Farms.