Aged Cheddar-Turkey Chowder
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 Tablespoon butter cubed
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 bag 12 ounces frozen corn
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups shredded cooked turkey
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 12 ounces Black Creek 2 Year Aged Cheddar cheese shredded (3 cups)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Salted pepitas and hot pepper sauce
- Sauté onion in butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in flour until light brown. Gradually stir in chicken stock; add the potatoes, corn and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in turkey and cream; simmer for 5-6 minutes longer or until heated through. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir in cheddar until melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle chowder into serving bowls. Top with pepitas and hot pepper sauce.
Recipe courtesy of Wisconsin Cheese.