Almond Butter Tofu Stir-Fry
9-ingredient tofu stir-fry with baked tofu marinated in an almond-tamari sauce. Serve with veggies and rice for a flavorful, plant-based meal.
- 1 12- ounce package extra firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil divided
- 4 Tbsp reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce if not GF
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp almond butter or sub peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1-2 tsp chili garlic sauce or 1/2 tsp red pepper flake or 1-2 Thai chilies, minced
- 1 pound green beans trimmed
- 2-3 small spicy peppers
FOR SERVING optional
- Brown rice* or white rice or Cauliflower Rice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Also wrap tofu in a clean, absorbent towel and set something heavy on top - like a cast-iron skillet - to press out excess moisture.
- Once oven is preheated, unwrap tofu and cut into small cubes. Arrange on the lined baking sheet in an even layer and bake for 25-30 minutes or until puffy, dried out, and slightly crispy on the edges. This step helps crisp up the tofu. The longer you bake it, the firmer and crispier it will get, so adjust cooking time accordingly.
- In the meantime, to a small mixing bowl, add half of the sesame oil, tamari, maple syrup, almond butter, lime juice, and chili garlic sauce/red pepper flake/Thai chilies. Whisk to combine. Then taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more almond butter for creaminess / nuttiness, tamari for saltiness, lime juice for acidity, or chili garlic sauce for heat. Set aside.
- If serving with rice, prepare at this time (see notes).
- Add baked tofu to the almond butter-tamari sauce and let marinate for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The longer it marinates, the more intense the flavor, but I find 5-10 minutes to be sufficient.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the tofu, leaving most of the marinade behind (this will be added to the vegetables for flavor).
- Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides and slightly caramelized. Remove from pan and set aside.
- To the skillet, add remaining sesame oil, green beans and peppers and 2-3 Tbsp of the marinade. Cover to steam for about 4-5 minutes or until green beans are slightly tender. Then remove lid, increase heat to medium high, and add remaining marinade and the tofu. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently. Then remove from heat.
- Serve as is or over cooked rice or cauliflower rice. For more heat, serve with chili garlic sauce or Sriracha.
Photo and recipe courtesy of Minimalist Baker.