Barbecue Braised Brisket
- 4 pounds Certified Angus Beef ® brisket flat cut in half
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable juice
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large onion diced
- Combine salt, black pepper, garlic powder and smoked paprika. Rub evenly into brisket, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place brisket, fat side up, in Dutch oven and roast uncovered 30 minutes; flip and roast another 30 minutes.
- While brisket cooks, whisk together vegetable juice, vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire, onion powder and cayenne; mix in onion.
- If desired, transfer brisket to a slow cooker. If continuing with Dutch oven, lower oven to 300°F. Pour liquid mixture over brisket, cover and braise for four hours until fork tender. (Or, cook on low in slow cooker for six hours.)
- Transfer brisket to a cutting board. Skim excess fat from braising liquid as desired. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing thinly across the grain. Serve topped with warm braising liquid.
Recipe Courtesy of Certified Angus Beef.