Brisket Ropa Vieja
- 3 pounds Certified Angus Beef ® brisket flat
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 small yellow onions sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 28 ounces can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 yellow bell peppers sliced
- 12 ounces Spanish olives sliced
- Position oven rack in the middle with enough height clear for a large Dutch oven or heavy bottomed pan with lid. Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Cut brisket flat into roughly 4 x 3 inch pieces so that the grain runs lengthwise. Combine cumin, paprika, salt, pepper and oregano. Season brisket pieces with 2 tablespoons spice mix and set aside.
- Heat the canola oil in Dutch oven over medium heat and sear beef chunks on two sides, 2-3 minutes; remove from pot.
- Add onions to the pot and sauté about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, tomato paste, bay leaves and remaining spice mix; sauté 2 more minutes. Add diced tomatoes and stock; bring to boil. Turn off heat, add reserved brisket, cover and place in oven. Cook for two hours. If necessary, strain excess fat.
- Add peppers to the pot and turn brisket pieces over. Place lid back on pan and return to oven for two hours.
- Remove pot from oven and use two forks or tongs to pull brisket into long strands and mix with braising liquid. Stir in olives and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Certified Angus Beef.