Creamy Avocado Tomato Soup
Avocado replaces heavy cream in this rich and hearty tomato soup.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil try Caraluzzi’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 ½ cup low sodium tomato juice
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 2 ripe fresh avocados, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- fresh thyme as a garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, cook, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes until translucent. Add garlic, cook 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and their juice, tomato paste, tomato juice, sugar, pepper and dried thyme.
- Add broth. Increase heat to medium high, bringing soup to a boil. Reduce heat; let simmer 5 minutes. Let soup cool 5 – 10 minutes.
- Cut 1-1/2 of the avocados into cubes and add to cooled tomato mixture.
- Puree the tomato and avocado mixture using an immersion blender until smooth. Reheat before serving. (Alternatively, puree soup in a food processor until smooth. Add pureed soup back to pot and reheat before serving.)
- To serve, pour soup into shallow bowls. Slice remaining avocado half and place on top of soup.
Photo and recipe courtesy of avocadocentral.com.