- 2 cups King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cloves and nutmeg
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup diced crystallized ginger optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly flour a 9” square pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, xanthan gum, sugar, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
- Melt the butter in a heatproof measuring cup. Add the molasses to the cup, and pour into the dry ingredients in the bowl, mixing to moisten.
- Add the water, stirring until everything is moistened. Whisk together the egg and buttermilk. Stir into the batter until it’s evenly combined. Stir in the crystallized ginger.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and let it rest on the counter for 15 minutes.
- Bake the cake for 40 to 45 minutes, until it just begins to pull away from the edge of the pan and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool it on a rack for 15 minutes before slicing; gingerbread is best served warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Photo and recipe courtesy of King Arthur Flour.