Grilled Cheese Italiano
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- 8 slices whole-grain bread
- 8 oz fontina or Swiss cheese try Belgioioso pre-sliced Fontina or Finlandia pre-sliced Swiss
- 8 thin slices prosciutto or ham
- 24 fresh basil leaves
- 8 slices 1/4 inch ripe tomatoes (about 2 medium)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt try Caraluzzi's Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper try Caraluzzi's Five Pepper Blend
- Heat griddle or 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Spread butter on one side of each bread slice. Layer unbuttered side of 4 of the bread slices with 1/4 cup of the cheese, 2 slices of the prosciutto, 6 of the basil leaves and 2 of the tomato slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top each with 1/4 cup of the remaining cheese and remaining bread slice, buttered side up.
- In hot skillet, heat sandwiches 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is slightly melted and bread is browned. Turn sandwiches over; heat 3 to 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and sandwich is golden brown.
Photo and recipe courtesy of Betty Crocker.