Instant Pot Classic Pot Roast
- 3 pounds Certified Angus Beef ® boneless chuck roast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt divided
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 15 ounces can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Season chuck roast with 1-teaspoon salt . Heat the vegetable oil in the Instant Pot set to Sauté mode, medium heat. Sear one piece of roast on its two largest sides, about 4 minutes a side; transfer to a bowl. Repeat with second piece.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pot, stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and saute until the onions soften, about 5 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pot occasionally to loosen any browned bits of beef. Stir in broth and bring to a boil; cook 1 minute. Add rosemary, thyme, reserved beef with its juices and top with tomatoes.
- Lock the lid, set on “Pressure Cook” mode for 70 minutes.
- Let the pressure come down naturally, about 20 more minutes. Remove the lid, tilting it away from you to avoid the hot steam. Carefully transfer beef chunks to a carving board. Discard rosemary and thyme sprigs. Strain the liquid from the pot into a fat separator. (Or just skim the excess fat with a ladle. Cut the roast across the grain into bite size pieces, and serve with pot sauce.
Courtesy of Certified Angus Beef.