Kale Avocado Salad with Roasted Carrots
- 2 ripe fresh Hass avocados peeled, pitted and cubed
- 1 lb. bag baby carrots
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (try Caraluzzi’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper (try Caraluzzi’s 5-Pepper Blend and Caraluzzi’s Sea Salt)
- 1 15.5 oz. can chick peas drained
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 large bunch kale about 1 pound, stalks removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese optional
Heat oven to 400°F.
In a bowl, toss carrots, oil, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and pepper.
Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet; bake 20 minutes. Add chick peas and walnuts to pan, stir and return to oven.
Bake until carrots are brown and tender, an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
In a large bowl combine kale, lemon juice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and half of the avocado.
Massage kale with both hands until the avocado is pureed and the kale softens and turns bright green, about 2 minutes.
Add half of the carrot mixture to the kale; toss.
Place in a large serving bowl. Top with remaining carrot mixture and avocado.
Season with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Recipe and photo courtesy of avocadocentral.com