Loaded Potato Soup
Bacon, ham and potatoes come together to form a cheesy soup that makes the ultimate comfort food.
Total Time 40 minutes
- 1 12 oz. package package bacon (try Caraluzzi’s Bacon)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 6 cups chicken broth from two 32-oz cartons
- 2 lb baking potatoes peeled, cubed
- 2/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (try Caraluzzi's Five Pepper Blend)
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 1 container 8 oz sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese 10 oz
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
In 12-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat 6 to 7 minutes or until crisp; drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon; set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Cook onion in bacon drippings over medium-high heat 6 minutes or until almost tender.
In 6-quart Dutch oven, mix onion, broth and potatoes. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cook 10 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
Meanwhile, in same skillet, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour with whisk until smooth. Cook and stir 1 minute. Gradually stir in 2 cups of the milk. Pour milk mixture into potato mixture. Add remaining 2 cups milk, the salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with whisk, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
Stir in ham, half of the bacon, the sour cream, 2 cups of the cheese and 1/2 cup of the green onions. Cook until thoroughly heated and cheese is melted. Evenly top individual servings with remaining bacon, 1/2 cup cheese and 1/4 cup green onions.
Photo and recipe courtesy of Betty Crocker.