These gluten free meatballs are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite Sunday sauce. You can substitute regular breadcrumbs if you don't need this recipe to be gluten free.
- 1 pound ground beef and pork or veal
- 1 egg
- Caraluzzi’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/4 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs try Aleia’s plain or seasoned varieties
- Salt and pepper to taste try Caraluzzi's Sea Salt and Five Pepper Blend
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl and incorporate well. Mixture should be moist, but hold together. If too wet, add a little more Parmigiano Reggiano and breadcrumbs. Form the meatballs on the small side (about 1 1/2-inch balls).
- Coat the bottom of a skillet with extra virgin olive oil. When the oil gets hot, add the meatballs, turning as they fry and become golden on the outside.
- Add tomato sauce to a large saucepan. To make your own sauce, take a couple of cans of imported Italian tomatoes and put them through a food mill into a large saucepan. Add some extra virgin olive oil and a couple of basil leaves. Simmer.
- As the small/medium meatballs come out of the frying pan, drop them in the sauce. When the sauce reduces and thickens to a consistency you like, turn off the heat. The meatballs will be juicy and your sauce perfect and flavorful.