Penne Chicken Escarole & Beans
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 9 oz. bag cut & cleaned Escarole
- 1 pkg Caraluzzi's Penne Pasta
- 1 lb Chicken breast tenders cut in 1” portions.
- 15 oz can canellini beans
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth 12oz (split by item prep)
- 5 Tbsp Caraluzzi's Extra Virgin Olive Oil split by item prep
- 3 Tbsp Butter split by item prep
- Onion powder & garlic powder to taste
- Fresh ground Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan or Romano cheese, optional
- 1 loaf Italian bread optional
- On stove top heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium size pan on medium heat.
- Season the chicken with salt & pepper and dusting of onion & garlic powder and add to the pan. Cook for 3-4 mins until one side is browned.
- Flip chicken over to other side, add 1 tablespoon of butter & cook for another 3-4 mins until starting to brown on other side. Pull the chicken before overcooking it & put aside in a dish with a cover to keep warm & moist. Put pan aside to reuse to cook beans.
- Start boiling water for pasta when start cooking the chicken.
- Cook pasta according to directions on package. Will use some water from pasta so don’t drain all until after cooking the beans.
- In larger stock pot on medium heat add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and when warm add the sliced 2 cloves of garlic. Cook for about a minute until garlic is sizzling but not brown.
- Add the escarole to the pot and add salt & pepper and cover for about a minute. Using tongs flip the escarole in the pot to cook evenly and start wilting it down.
- Add about ½ a cup of chicken stock and 1 tablespoon of butter and stir escarole. Turn to medium low heat, put lid back on and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Drain ¾ of the water from the can of beans.
- In the same pan you used to cook the chicken over medium low heat add the beans and remaining liquid to the pan. Use a spatula or spoon to smash about ¼ of the beans to a paste.
- Then add salt & pepper, 1tablespoon of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of butter, 1 cup of chicken broth and about2 ladles of pasta water. Stir and cook for about 3-4 minutes for beans to soften.
- In same pan add the cooked chicken with any juice and the cooked escarole with juices and warm for about a minute.
- In a large serving bowl add drained pasta & entire contents of pan & stir to mix evenly, allow pasta to absorb some of the liquid.
- Add shredded parmesan or Romano cheese and serve.
The key is to cook the items simultaneously and in the order they appear above. Can sub conventional butter with Italian Parma Butter for more flavorful & creamier taste. Serve with a warm loaf of Italian bread, try Caraluzzi’s pane di casa.