Beef Prime Rib Roast with Cabernet Jus
- 2 750 ml bottles Cabernet Sauvignon
- 4 cups beef stock or canned broth
- 2 cups ruby Port
- 3 large garlic cloves peeled
- 1 large shallot peeled, halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 - 6 pound boneless prime rib beef roast
- 4 large garlic cloves pressed
- Fresh parsley sprigs
- Combine first 6 ingredients and 1 teaspoon thyme in large non aluminum saucepan. Boil until reduced to 2 cups, about 1 hour. (Cabernet mixture can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cool, cover and refrigerate.)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place beef, fat side up, in heavy 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Rub beef all over with pressed garlic and remaining 2 teaspoons thyme. Season beef generously with salt and pepper. Roast 1 hour.
- Tent beef with foil. Continue roasting until meat thermometer inserted into center registers l 18°F for rare, about 35 minutes. Transfer to platter and let stand 20 minutes. Pour off all fat from roasting pan. Place pan over medium-high heat. Add Cabernet mixture to pan and bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour jus into sauceboat. Garnish platter with parsley, if desired. Carve beef and serve, passing jus separately.
Recipe courtesy of Gillians.