Seared Sea Scallops on a Bed of Sautéed Greens
GARLICKY SAUTÉED GREENS:
- 2 lb Earthbound Farm Organic Greens try their Baby Spinach or Mixed Greens
- 2 Tbsp olive oil try Caraluzzi’s Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- Salt & black pepper try Caraluzzi’s 5-Pepper Blend and Caraluzzi’s Sea Salt
- 1 lb Fresh Dry Sea Scallops
- ¼ cup arrowroot preferred, but you can use cornstarch or flour
- ½ tsp coarse kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- Lemon slices for serving
TO COOK THE GREENS:
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, about 2 min.
- Add the greens & sprinkle with 1 tablespoon water. Turn the greens with tongs until all the leaves are wilted & the garlic is evenly distributed. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Spoon the greens into center of a serving platter & cover to keep warm while you cook the scallops.
TO COOK THE SCALLOPS:
- If there is a tough white muscle on the side of any of the scallops, trim it off using a paring knife & discard it. Pat the scallops dry with paper towels.
- Place arrowroot, salt & pepper in a shallow bowl & whisk to blend. Dredge the scallops in seasoning mixture, shaking off excess.
- Pour just enough olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet to thinly coat the bottom. Heat oil over medium heat until it is hot but not smoking. Add the scallops in a single layer, working in batches if needed.
- Cook the scallops until a brown crust forms on the bottom, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn the scallops with tongs and cook until lightly seared on the other side, about 30 seconds. Immediately transfer the scallops to the platter of greens, arranging them with their crusty sides up, serve immediately with lemon slices.
Recipe adapted from Earthbound Farms.