Surf and Turf
Fresh herbs and lemon brighten beef and seafood beautifully. Make this incredible steak and lobster with asparagus recipe for a special romantic dinner.
- 1 16-ounce Certified Angus Beef ® strip steak
- 2 4 to 6-ounce cold water lobster tails
- 1 stick 4-ounces unsalted butter
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Pinch of paprika
- 1-2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2-3 fresh chives
- 1 sprig flat leaf Italian parsley
- 1 lemon
- 10 asparagus spears woody bottoms removed
- Large cast iron pan
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Preheat oven broiler. Chop fresh thyme leaves, chives and parsley; place in a small mixing bowl with zest of lemon.
- Prepare lobster tails. With kitchen shears cut through the center top of the tail shell, stopping where fins attach and avoiding cutting tail meat. Carefully separate tail meat from shell, keeping meat attached at fin base end. Pull and lay meat on top of reclosed intact shell. Remove vein, if present, place on a broiler pan, brush with a little clarified butter and season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Put a large cast iron in the oven to preheat for steak. Cut strip steak in half, rub with oil on both sides and season with salt and pepper.
- Broil lobster tails. They take about a minute for every ounce and are done when the meat is white and no longer translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 450°F and, with a mitt or dry kitchen towel, remove cast iron pan and place on the stovetop over medium heat. Sear steaks for 2 minutes, flip and add asparagus, 1-2 tablespoons of melted butter and pinch of lemon herb blend. Place back in oven for 5-6 minutes, until internal steak temperature is 120-125°F for medium rare.
- Allow steaks to rest 5 minutes before serving with asparagus and lobster tails; garnish with remaining butter and herbs.
Photo and recipe courtesy of Certified Angus Beef.