Sweet, Spicy, and Smoky Spareribs
- 5 pounds pork spareribs cut into 4-rib slabs
- 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin ground
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chiles OR chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup honey heated until liquid
- Mix paprika, salt, oregano, cumin, chipotle OR chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder together in small bowl. Sprinkle generously over both sides of ribs. Let stand at room temperature while preparing grill.
- Prepare outdoor grill for indirect medium-hot grilling. For a gas grill, remove cooking grates. Preheat grill on High. Turn 1 burner off. Place disposable aluminum foil pan over off burner and add 2 cups water to pan. Replace grates. Adjust heat to 350°F. For a charcoal grill, place disposable aluminum foil pan on 1 side of charcoal grate. Build fire on opposite side, and let burn until coals are coated with white ash. Spread coals in grill opposite pan and let burn 15-20 minutes. Add 2 cups water to pan. Position cooking grate in grill.
- Lightly oil cooking grate. Place ribs over foil pan and cover grill. Cook, adding water to pan as needed, until ribs are browned, fork-tender, and meat pulls away from end of bone, about 2 hours. (For charcoal grill, add 10 briquettes to fire every 45 minutes to maintain heat.) During last 20 minutes, occasionally brush both sides of ribs with warm honey. Let stand 5 minutes, cut into ribs, and serve hot.
Recipe and photo courtesy of National Pork Board.