White Bean, Kale & Bacon Stew
This stew is perfect for lunch or dinner, served hot with crusty roll and a side salad. A double batch made ahead of time is a great way to feed a crowd.
- 3 tablespoon olive oil (try Caraluzzi's Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 9 ounce Lean trimmed center cut bacon
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 3 Carrots
- 2 Celery Stalks
- 4 clove Garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3 15 oz. cans cannellini beans
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 12 ounce Kale
- 1/2 cup Coarsely chopped fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (try Caraluzzi's Sea Salt and Five Pepper Blend)
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is cooked, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and thyme, and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables soften slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Add the beans and the broth, raise the heat to high, and bring to the start of a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in the kale and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until the kale and vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Earthbound Farm.